The Best Ways To Motivate Yourself To Clean

 The Best Ways To Motivate Yourself To Clean




          
     Have you ever tried to find the motivation to do your house work but found that there was no motivation? Somedays we just really lack the drive to do things, and that’s okay. It’s okay to rest sometimes. However other times we just need to kick ourselves back into gear especially when we’ve been putting off a task simply because we just don’t want to do it. 

     In todays post we are going to be discussing ways to help you get motivated to clean. Sometimes all it takes is getting into the mind set to clean. Once you get into the mindset, there’s no stopping you!

          Hi I'm Just Jess with Honest Honey. Here I write honest reviews on products I have tried and would personally recommend to friends and family. As an Amazon Associate I could earn from qualifying purchases. I also write cleaning tips and tricks. If you like what you are reading, be sure to subscribe by email so that you won’t miss out on new posts!






Break it down


        Break cleaning into smaller tasks to make it feel more manageable. With dishes for example. I, for one,  hate doing dishes but I found a hack to get past that especially when I don’t want to do it. I break it down into smaller tasks. 
       After the end of a long day with my two kids under two, the last thing I want to do is the dishes. However “Healthy Home, Healthy Mind”. I break the task down. First I separate all the dishes into categories and here’s the order I clean them in: 
1. Saucepans or bigger dishes that take up a lot of room
2. Plates
3. Bowls
4. Cups
5. Cooking utensils 
6. Silverware 

   It sounds silly, why should it matter the order I do my dishes? And maybe it is silly in someways, but it works for me. I find that after I get the first small task done then I start feeling more accomplished after each small task. The next thing I know all of the dishes are gone and I can mark it off my list. 
       

Set a timer




       Set a timer for a short amount of time, such as 10-15 minutes, and focus on cleaning during that time. If you want you can set multiple timers during the day when you know you’ll be home. You could list the timers as certain chores you need to get done for the day. 
      Setting a timer if you have children can be turned into a fun game when cleaning. Delegate chores to each child and yourself, set a timer of 10 minutes, and the first to finish that chore wins. Maybe add in a prize too.

  

 Make a Cleaning Playlist





        Most people have some sort of subscription to a music service. If you don’t, you could use Pandora's free version with ads. Or you could always look for a cleaning playlist on YouTube, which is often free as well. 
       It’s a well known fact that music can motivate us by triggering the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward. When we listen to music that we enjoy, our brain releases dopamine, which can increase our motivation, focus, and mood. Additionally, music can help to distract us from negative thoughts or feelings, which can also improve our motivation and mood, no wonder cleaning and listening to music go so well together! 


Make a cleaning schedule or checklist





        Most of the time cleaning can become overwhelming when we don’t know what to do or where to start. That’s why we make schedules to keep us on track and to keep cleaning from becoming to overwhelming. 
      Checklists are also helpful. It feels so nice being able to cross something off your list of things to do for the day. At the end of the day a finished checklist can make you feel like you have accomplished a lot for the day. I like to leave my check list on our fridge where I can see it and cross things off my list as soon as I finish. It’s very satisfying to me. 
     
     Note: remember to keep your schedule or checklist where you will see it. Remember “out of sight, out of mind”.


Give yourself a good pep talk



         Remember what we said earlier how when you put your mind to something you can achieve it. This is another way of looking at it. Give yourself a good pep talk before you clean. 
       Saying affirmations like: “I can do this”, “ After I am done I will feel so much better”. This affirmation can be anything you want as long as it works for you. If you want you can even write this on your cleaning schedule or checklist. 


Treat yourself! 




         Sometimes nothing motivates me to clean faster than knowing that I have something chocolate waiting for me in our pantry. It’s nice to treat yourself especially after such a big accomplishment as cleaning. Plus it’s a huge mood booster just to sit in your freshly cleaned home and enjoy something that is for yourself. 


Invite a friend to come and help



      Sometimes inviting a friend over to help you clean can actually make cleaning more enjoyable. It’s nice to be able to hang out with our friends and joke around, and it also makes cleaning go faster. If you want you can add that cleaning playlist in and make it even more fun! 



Lastly 





      It’s okay sometimes if you just can’t find the motivation to clean. You don’t have to be perfect. It’s okay to rest if you just don’t have it in you. The dishes aren’t going anywhere and tomorrow is a new day.  



There you have it busy bees, The Best Ways To Motivate Yourself To Clean! 






If you enjoyed this article be sure to follow along with more articles to come! Follow us on social media as well!


     Facebook              Pinterest               Twitter 


Have a product you’re curious about or want us to review? Leave us a comment below! 



Comments

Popular Posts